Family of Warriors

Family of Warriors

Wednesday 8 October 2008

The Gift of Adoption


This past week we have had interesting conversations around the dinner table. Some great friends have been in the process of adopting a child. We found out Monday that they were chosen by a birth mother; however, the mother was wishy washy to say the least. Well, Mark and I believe in the power of prayer and decided that this issue needed to be covered in prayer. So, as we talked with our boys about the importance of praying for our friends, Kaleb was noticeably upset. So, we asked what was on his heart.

He explained how he didn't want anyone to loose their children. It was wrong to take the child from their mom. We have tried many times to explain that not all parents are like his parents. We went through the list of people we know are adopted. Some of which are in our family. We explained the benefit for the child and the families that adopt.

He understood how the child was blessed to be adopted, but the birth parent's loss broke his heart. We have had this talk before. Mark and I had the privilege of being houseparents for several boys for about 2 1/2 years. Kaleb didn't understand then either. He could not comprehend why parents would leave their children.

He doesn't understand abuse or neglect. He doesn't understand going without a meal. He doesn't understand parents choosing not to be parents. He doesn't understand parents who are selfish.

At the close of the conversation, I asked Kaleb a practical question. I asked him what he would do if someone came up to our house and asked us to raise their baby girl? He laughed and smiled at me and said, " Mom that is a dumb question. I would take her in a heart beat."

So, maybe we should look at adoption through his eyes. He sees adoption as a gift from the birth parents. He sees adoption as a privilege.

Through this gift of adoption, I am privilege to be the sister of an adopted baby (picture is of my sister and myself). I am privilege to be the second cousin of an adopted baby. I am privilege to be a friend of one who has been adopted. I am privilege to be apart of several families that have enlarged their family through the gift of adoption. But most important I am privileged to be adopted also by the High King, the Creator, the Alpha and Omega, my Abba. .

"In love, He predestined us to be adopted as His sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will..." Eph.1:5 emphasis is mine.

Wow! It feels great to be a gift. You and I were created for God's pleasure. We bring joy to our King just like our children bring joy to us.

Hopefully, you have joined God's family through the adoption of His Son Jesus Christ. If not, respond in the comment section and I would be blessed to carry on a conversation with you that would bring real change...a change you can truly believe in.

No comments: