Family of Warriors

Family of Warriors

Tuesday 29 September 2009

The Difference




Mary-Elizabeth just turned 2 months old. She has grown so much--she weighs 15 pounds already! She found her hands and loves to chew on them--just in time for flu season. She can be quite fussy at times, so she loves to be held close in the sling. She is beginning to smile back at us and even babbles on occasion to my delight. She falls asleep easily in her bassinet, but hates sleeping in her own bed. However during the day. she enjoys sleeping in her swing. She sleeps for about 5 hours at night and nurses and sleeps for another 4 hours. She almost always has a smile for her Daddy and sits contently in his lap. I must admit it has been a crazy, busy, fun, joyful, beautiful experience having 5 children.

Many people ask if my life as been turned upside down with having a little girl. Well, in some ways yes and in other ways no. There is a major difference in changing diapers, getting her dressed and decorating her room. Yet, fundamentally it is the same. I have the same desires and prayers for her that I have for my boys..to love the Lord their God with all their hearts.

The main difference between boys and girls is more or less my teaching role. My main role with the boys is to enhance Mark's teachings --the value of respect, the love of God, the joy of a good wife, and how to problem solve. Now, with Mary-Elizabeth my role is different. My goal is to teach her the fundamentals of being a lady of character and virtue. I am to teach her how to be modest in her appearance, to be self controlled, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be pure. Now, boys need to learn these lessons too, but Mark is the one who needs to be the example. Now, I have the privilege and responsibility to teach my daughter by example and my words. Oh, I look forward to teaching her how to cook, how to organize her room, and how to play babies and doll house. I am assured I will enjoy playing with her just as much as I enjoy playing with my boys. For it will be during those 'play' moments that I will be the example that she needs.

I must admit I am overjoyed and full of glee to have this opportunity to teach my daughter. Now, to let the Holy Spirit to work through me in training all my children in His righteousness. Please Lord help me to stay out of it.










1 comment:

Lori said...

I just wanted to let you know that I think you are doing a great job with your family. You might feel stressed at times, but in the short time I have known you, I have been so impressed with your children and the way God flows through them. The attitudes they have, the questions they ask, and their character is so inspiring and rare in children. You have been an inspiration to me on being more consistent with making God part of our every day lives and teaching my kids how to live for Jesus. I can't wait for Mary Elizabeth to be old enough to play...you are such an example for her. Your kids are so blessed to have you as a mom!!