Family of Warriors

Family of Warriors

Wednesday 17 September 2008

Kaleb



Kaleb is my oldest child. He is full of energy and excitement. He is also full of compassion. He loves people without fault. He cherishes stories and laughter. He is a fabulous son. My life would be void if he didn't exist.

Kaleb is also my mirror of myself. He takes on my emotions or my actions relatively easily. This could be good! However, he could also take on my not so pleasing attributes. Fortunately, yesterday he took on a new action that I have been practicing.

Last week another Mom, of four precious girls, was so encouraging. She was talking about the power of prayer. When she gets frustrated or angry with her daughters, she sits and prays with them instead of lashing out with her tongue or sending them away for a time out. I was immediately convicted. I am home all day with my darling boys. I have the privilege of training them in righteousness through devotions, playing, school, and chores. Anger is something that I combat daily as a sweet child turns to the not so sweet child.

So, I began to practice praying for my child's heart and my heart when anger crepts into my mouth and heart. Well, Kaleb was angry with his brother as they played hide and go seek yesterday. Instead of lashing out with his tongue or provoking his brother to anger, he prayed for the situation.

Kaleb said, "blah, blah, blah, In Jesus Name, Amen. Now Joshua I will go and find you and you can go hide first."

Isn't that the purpose of prayer-conviction. He prayed for his brother's heart to change and instead his heart changed. Prayer it changes everything.

"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." James 1:19-20

No comments: