Family of Warriors

Family of Warriors

Sunday 23 December 2012

Christmas Memories

I thought it would be fun to write out some of my favorite Christmas memories.  I have been blessed with 39 Christmases in my life time.  Each one has brought some deeper meaning to my life.  Some were harder than others, but for the most part I am so grateful that I have fond memories of a season that plays an instrumental role in my faith.

*When I was in high school, my sister was unable to come home for Christmas due to having my first nephew.  My mom decided that she didn't want to get woken up at the crack of dawn.  So, she slammed the front door and jiggled jingle bells and yelled, "HO HO HO!"  My brother and I came running into the living room with our hearts racing.  She informed us that Santa had come!  Santa was very sneaky that year and hid our presents in the tree!  After looking at all our goodies, Mom went to bed and my brother and I went out for breakfast at Dennys!  We bought my mom coffee mugs so that she could always remember the experience!

*Several years later, my sweet niece was born and 7 months later we celebrated Christmas with my family at my grandmother's home.  My niece was in my mother's lap.  My sweet niece grabbed my grandmother's tree and down it came!  Since most of the ornaments fell off, my grandmother decided to undecorate her tree.  I still laugh at that one!  It was such a sight to see.

*My very first Christmas married to my sweet husband found me 8 weeks pregnant and very sick.  During the month of December, we had to paint a new house, move into a new house, and I was put into the hospital for a week for dehydration.  Needless to say our house wasn't very merry for the season. However, I learned a greater purpose of Christmas.  It was beautiful in it own way.  I learned volumes about sacrifice and true love.  I was sacrificing my body, but in return I would hold a sweet, beautiful baby boy.  Jesus was born to sacrifice His life for a sinner--for a sinner like me.  It was a humbling experience.

*Our first Christmas in a far away land called California brings some special memories.  The boys received a R2D2 for Christmas from my Mother.  We decided to do something different that year.  Instead of wrapping the present, we hid him behind our couch.  While the kids were looking at their gifts, Mark turned him on.  Then he proceeded to give him a command.  The boys were delighted and squealed to hear R2D2 and see him roll around.  It was a great surprise!

*Once again, December found me pregnant with our 5th child.  Once again we were moving to a far away land in the Rocky Mountains.  Did I mention that I was very sick.  This year we moved a week before Christmas.  My boys' love for our family was very evident.  They put our tree up and then wrapped it with green saran wrap.  At church, many of our children made Christmas ornaments.  We added those to our tree as well.  It was a beautiful Christmas to remember that love is the spirit of Christmas.

*Last year, we decided to surprise our family in Texas and come home for Christmas.  I was on top of my game.  I had laundry washed, dried, folded and put up.  All the Christmas gifts were bought and wrapped.  I had 2 days to get everyone packed and ready to go!  Then came a HUMONGOUS snow storm.  We had to make a quick decision--to go to Texas or not to go at all.  We decided to leave 2 days early. We decided this at 9:00 at night.  Within a hour and a half, we were packed and ready to go.  We left during a blizzard and drove 25 mph to the border of Texas.  We stopped and slept at a hotel for 5 hours.  We were awoken to the news that the snow storm was coming our way.  We brushed our teeth and took off once again.  We arrived safely to our home town.  We were even able to surprise our family-bonus!  My children will forever remember the fun of "dashing through the snow!"

Merry Christmas dear readers!

No comments: