Family of Warriors

Family of Warriors

Monday 3 December 2012

God's Grace

I have had a wonderful opportunity to teach a group of ladies at my home church.  The past few months, we studied the book of Galatians.  The major theme has penetrated my heart and my mind.  I can do nothing to earn salvation or good gifts.  It is freely given by a gracious God.

The other day I read Psalms 51.  I could barely get through the first verse without tears.

Some of you already know what Psalms I am talking about.  It is the Psalms of penitence that King David wrote after being convicted of having an affair and then having her husband killed.

Psalms 51:1, "Have mercy on me, O God, according to
Your unfailing love;
 according to your great compassion blot
out my transgressions."
 
I don't think we can truly accept who we are without seeing us next to a Sovereign God.  When I see what God has done for me because of His love, I am in awe of the true, living God.  You see I didn't get where I am today because I did good works.  He gave me good gifts because of His faithfulness.  He gave me the blessing of my husband and children because of who He is.  He did not give me my family because He knew I could "handle it."  He gave me a home and money in my account to take care of our large family not because I am awesome with money, but because of who He is! 
 
I am free to be who God has created me to be.  I am no longer compelled to do good works for good works sake!  I desire to read my Bible, memorize verses, tithe, teach my children and work diligently for His cause because of who He is. 
 
Seeing myself in the eyes of God keeps my attitude in check.  He is faithful. I am wishy washy at times.  He is love unconditional. I love conditionally.  He practices mercy.  I beg for mercy.  He is Sovereign.  I can only see for moments at a time. He is God and well I am not!
 
"You my brothers, were called to be free." Galatians 5:13
 
 


No comments: